Saturday, May 18, 2013

PARTY!

How do I always end up on the wrong side of the party? These last few weeks have marked some really important milestones for both Goose Island and the Starlight Children's Foundation. At Goose, we celebrated the brewery's 25th year in operation, and it was followed up closely by Starlight's annual gala. Did I get to drink beer and bid on extravagant beauty and wellness packages? No, that's for people with money. I did, however, have the pleasure of manning the Bright Eyes and Smiles stations at both events.

I guess I'll start with the gala, since it's fresh in my memory (because it happened like two hours ago). I showed up in a pencil skirt and heels, ready to work. They had me on the Beauty and Wellness section of the silent auction, where my responsibilities included greeting people and talking them into bidding on the packages in my section. Because the items up for bid pretty much sold themselves, all I really had to do was act like a friendly person. Fortunately, this is a skill I've honed over many years in the food service industry, in spite of being a cranky, miserable wretch in my off-time. (Just kidding, I'm always a pleasure.)

As for the Goose Island Anniversary party, I was doing the same thing--minus talking people out of their money. I smiled, passed out glasses, and pushed our Willow Street Wit (the "welcome" beer) onto party-goers. After things slowed down, I got to watch what seemed like a never-ending line of people devour an entire animal. Everything went really well, and I was happy to be a part of such a historic occasion for the company. It's a really great place to work (as evidenced by the number of employees who have been there for multi+ years). The customers had a great time, and so did Mr. Hall--which is great because he damn sure earned it.

No pictures. I didn't take any.

When I got home from the gala tonight, I walked in the door and handed Phil a $20 bill. There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell I was making dinner, so I thought it would be best if he ordered pizza, or Chinese, or whatever the hell. My sole ambition was a huge glass of wine and a hot bath. I was not to be bothered.


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes at he end of a long day like that wine and a shower-bath is all the ambition you have left. Keep hooking and jabbing champ.

    ReplyDelete