Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Poor People Math 101

Looking for an apartment in Chicago sucks. Not only is it an expensive place to live, it's not very pet friendly.  When searching for the right place to sleep, a whole lot of factors come into play, but the most important is (You guessed it!) price. Since I'm fast approaching my 25th year of being broke, I've noticed a lot of nasty poor person habits that I can't seem to let go of-- like prioritizing my bank account over my personal safety.

While scrolling through Craigslist, my mind does a series of rapid-fire calculations. I'll use Arizona Green Tea to illustrate my point. (If you've ever stopped to buy a drink at a gas station, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about...those 23.5 oz. cans going for a dollar at every convenience store in the nation.) If I see an apartment for $460 a month in a nice neighborhood, I will totally ignore it in favor of a $200/month apartment in gangland. The difference amounts to 260 green teas for God's sake! I could drink 8 more green teas a day in the hood, if I drank them at all. I just want that option! Two hundred and sixty teas translates to something like 40 sticks of deodorant, or 5,000 raspberry zingers, maybe even a ranch-style home in Thailand.

What I'll actually do with the money is totally irrelevant!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Such a wonderful persective. You have insight and talent beyond tender years. Keep up the good work and maybe you can move this country in a positive direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirste my love, at the risk of sounding like an old lady, I get where you're coming from but you DO NOT want to live in gangland. I grew up in gangland here in L.A. and believe me ... you don't want to live there. GOOD LUCK!

    xoxo
    Deb

    ReplyDelete